Magdalene Schmidt Included on Founder’s Circle Memorial
On October 9, 2004 Mrs. Magdalene Schmidt was included on the Founders Circle Memorial located at the Cranford-Graves Fire Service Building in Landover Hills, Maryland. Mrs. Schmidt’s name was inscribed on the Capitol Heights stone for being instrumental in the history of our station.
Mrs. Schmidt joined the Capitol Heights Volunteer Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary in the mid 1920’s.
She served as President of the Capitol Heights Volunteer Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary from 1930 to 1952. During her tenure as President, the Ladies Auxiliary was instrumental in raising much needed funds to helpt the department and maintain the resources it needed to provide quality fire service to the community. The Ladies Auxiliary was also instrumental in paying off the mortgage for the fire station located at Central Avenue and Capitol Heights Boulevard (formerly 61st Avenue).
In addition to serving the citizens of Capitol Heights, Ms. Schmidt was active in both the Maryland State Fireman’s Association Ladies Auxiliary and the Prince George’s County Fire & Rescue Association Ladies Auxiliary. She helped organize these auxiliaries and many others throughout the county and state.
Mrs. Schmidt served as President to the PGCVFRA – Ladies Auxiliary from 1946 to 1947. She held the office of Chaplain from 1951 through 1969 and was named Chaplain Emeritus in May 1969. She served three terms as Treasurer and one term as Vice Chaplain. She also served as President of the MSFA Ladies Auxiliary from 1949 to 1950.
Magdalene Schmidt was inducted into the PGCVFRA – Ladies Auxiliary Hall of Fame in 1982.
Her leadership and hard work has been an inspiration to many and is greatly appreciated. She was the cornerstone of this department’s Ladies Auxiliary, which also has the distinction of being the first Volunteer Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary in the United States.